Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Caring Kids Rock!




I love my job of being a librarian at a middle school. After raising my own 3 kids, I confess it was a jolt to get back into that age group. But now that we’re used to each other, I love seeing all of the kids every day. I often chat with them during lunch.

Lately we’ve been using part of our lunch periods to make get well cards for Stitches of Hope recipients with notebook paper and markers. I will stick the notes inside the boxes stuffed with Stitches of Hope caps for the recipients. So when the boxes arrive at medical facilities with free caps, the patients will also receive get well notes from caring, wonderful kids. This group of boys and girls, numbering around 12, are doing their best to create bright, beautiful notes to people they don't even know in hopes it will help them have a better day.

The group has grown from an original number of around 4. I don't force or bribe the kids to do this loving gesture. I always tell them, “You can take a break today if you want.” But they’re always back there, creating messages of hope. Their turnout is incredible. There are probably 50 pictures now in my stack. Since these don't weigh anything or take much room in the boxes, it’s all a bonus!

What can you do today to help someone or encourage another person to help? Sometimes it doesn't take much incentive.

Below are the 2 websites for free hat patterns. One is for knitting and the other crochet. At the top of each page is a link that will take you to a list of all kinds of free patterns from afghans to women's clothing. There are lots of patterns for all kinds of skill levels (beginner, easy, etc.). The majority of Stitches of Hope caps are skull caps (they fit around the head). This crocheted pattern in one color takes me 1.5 hours.

http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/hats.php

http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/directory/hats.php

Please contact us at StitchesofHope@gmail.com with questions. We hope to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment